Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Dream big, kid!

A few illustrators I admire/envy:

Rowena: Does a lot of sci-fi and romance book covers. A very realistic painter who went to school for art and succeeded.

Steve Dilon: Does work for the biggest comic publishers.

Gary Larson: Creator of "The Far Side," brilliant and twisted cartoon genius.

Julie Bell: Much like Rowena. Does work for Marvel, book covers, and trading cards.

Jim Davis: Makes a lot of money off the same thing he's been doing for thirty years. Syndication!

Frank Frazetta: One of the most famous sci-fi artists ever. Worked for everyone, including Playboy.

Scott Adams: Used to be a bank teller and kept his day job for years after Dilbert became popular.


Bill Watterson: Can draw people in midair perfectly. Plus, when he got fed up with the cartooning business, he became a recluse. And he refused to sell merch. rights for C&H.

Dave McKean: Art is amazing. Art is amazing. Art is amazing. Works for big comic companies.

Greg Horn: Comics cover man. Draws wonderfully proportionate characters, e.i. women who aren't 40-10-30.

Ten Magazines I would work for:
(in no particular order)

Dangerous Ink
Hi Fructose
Heavy Metal
Fangoria
Art on Paper
Juxtapoz
CMYK
International Artist
Pocketful Illustration
3x3

I think that if I had my own magazine, it would definitely fall under the category (or spell) of "goth." A large section of it would be devoted to vampires, since—thanks to "Twilight"—are totally IN. I'd hire a writer for fashion firstly. I'd also take fan fics, but I'd hire someone to go through them all, and pick out the good stuff. I'd get writers to cover make-up techniques and conventions, not just goth ones, but comics and anime. And I'd want it to be really dark.

We can dream, eh?

And if I weren't going to do magazines:

Top Cow Comics
Alternative Comics
High Tower Comics
Marvel Comic
Disney Studios
Dark Horse Comics
Image Comics
Dreamworks Studios
Harper-Collins Children's Books
Mad Magazine (yes, it's a magazine, but I'd be making comics for the Fundalini Pages. Plus it'd be cool to become one of "the usual gang of idiots)

Now I must settle back into reality, eating ramen and walking to school. Some day...

No comments: