Sunday, September 27, 2009

Food and figures


So this is what my desk looks like right now. I spend about 70% of my time working on my Nine story hotel story. I was thinking about calling it "Fallout," but now I'm leaning toward "In the Red Forest." Sounds less like a video game that way.


These next few are from my "suspect your food" series, looking at the integrity of labels such as organic, free-range, and hormone-free. They're being made using acrylic on multimedia paper. I start with a wash, which ends up mostly covered by the end by black and white. Then I plan to use a few, thin color washes over the featured animals. This is a pig in the back of a police car.


I plan to add more specific characteristics to the breeds of chicken in this one, not to mention a more dynamic angle than straight on.


This one is almost ready for paint. Just got to adjust the woman's arm and the height of the desk surface.



Here's an in-depth look at the technique. These guys are salmon, and all they need is the thin color layer now.


This little fella is going to be a goat-sucker, more commonly known as a "chupacabra." We're creating sock creatures for sculpture. Leave it to me to pick the weirdest option. Anyway, he's got pleather legs, felt arms, corduroy belly, and a knee-high body. He will be stuffed later, of course. And he will have two white fangs. Stuffed animals are a love of mine, and I'm really a sucker for this project. Ha. Now I'm going back to my day job of making art, not jokes.

No comments: